Saturday, January 31, 2009

New Gear!


With the help of a Christmas LL Bean gift certificate and some gift B-Day money I was able to upgrade my cassette to Ultegra 10 speed. I have been riding a 9- speed for the last two seasons and it has been fine, but with the 10-speed I will have two extra gears (I ride a double, not a triple ring up front) which should give me more flexibility and cadence options riding theses foothills of central Maine. I hope to ride more road races/criteriums also this year, so this should help as these races demand more variability in cadence (peddle rpm) efforts.


I also scored two new Michelin Pro Race 3 tires! these are high end tires that are fast and light. I got them on sale for $35 when they retail at Bean's for $50. Even $50 is a good price for these because the local shops up this way usually have them at about $55. I was so surprised at the price i asked the bike shop manager at Bean's if they were damaged or factory seconds. He assured me they were not and that they just had a surplus of them from last year as most of their business is from pretty tame recreational riders who would not bother with these tires. So, I'm close to being ready for the '09 season. Just a new chain, complete tune-up and maybe, hopefully some new brakes. Kinda important!

No comments:

Post a Comment