Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Trainer Stress




















My training space. The dogs and my Ipod keep me comapny. The dryer keeps me warm in a 30 degree basement!

The bike stable above: Dance with the one who brung ya!

I got an email from a felow bike freak regarding my effort to baby my road bike and not put so many miles on it. Current trainers put little stress on the frame and components for the average rider, but here is my reply and some of my thoughts...

You’re right. It doesn’t place undo stress on the frame if you and I are just spinning or doing tempo or interval work while seated. But remember who those tests and reviews are focused on: 130-180lb riders who even if they stand up and do a sprint or even just stand for 10-60 seconds to mix up your position/muscle involvement while on the trainer don't put nearly as much stress on the rear hub/wheel and frame as my current 225lbs. Never mind your 255lbs+ ! (This guy was recently 300lbs and loss weight riding. Bikes Rule! Guess who family! ) Also, I have next to nothing for money for upgrades currently as we're saving for a down payment for a home, so even putting miles on last years Dura Ace chain, rear cassette and wear on the front cranks and rings makes a difference in how many actual road miles I can milk out of my current set-up. I would much rather use a stationary bike right now than my speedster on the trainer. That said, I'm working with a local bike mechanic to get an old specialized mtb bike rideable on the cheap so I can put a road slick on the rear and ride to my hearts content on the trainer, Until then it's 1/2 stationary bike at the local YMCA (I go off hours so people don't curse at me for monopolizing it), 1/4 on the trainer in the basement and 1/4 cross training on XC skis or snowshoes. Your CycleOps2 Fluid trainer is a choice piece of equipment! If you don't do any serious out of the saddle thrashing and don't mind replacing the chain or rear cassette a couple of months earlier than usual than knock yourself out.
I'm looking forward to riding with you again this summer. We'll stretch it out a bit this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment