Friday, April 10, 2009

The Treadmill as Metaphor

So, school has been ridiculously busy and I finish one task to just begin seemingly the same thing all over again, and again and again. This spring is becoming a vicious cycle of committee meetings with follow up meetings, with paper work, followed by memos, directives, emails tagged with annexed resources and addendum's to agendas. Last I knew I was a biology and env. studies teacher, but lately (really the trend has been growing the last two or three years) I spend MUCH more time doing administrative work than teaching or preparing to teach. Something is amiss.

All of this gerbil on the treadmill work makes it all the more important for me to carve out a small slice of time for myself to do what I love (I actually love teaching. I just don't do it much anymore) which is physical training, specifically on my bike. Well, today no bike. It was the literal treadmill in the fitness room of the Alfond. I ran pretty hard for 41 minutes (I like to do one extra minute to sneak it over the edge) with about 1/3 of that at high intensity. I am running the Mark Hazzard Day 5k one week from now, so a few miles in the running shoes is necessary. It felt good to push myself after a few days off and maybe I can salvage this week with four good days of training if I can get some time in over the weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Tell me you have your bike back and you're racing the SIP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve told me today it will be ready for next Sunday. Of course, my first ride on it this season will be in a crit!

    ReplyDelete