Friday, March 20, 2009

Speedster At The Spa

I just dropped off my road bike at Kennebec Bike and Ski for a well overdue overhaul/tune-up. The guys at the shop tweaked a few things for me last season, but I forced myself to do as much as possible on my own to save money and learn about bike maintenance. The new ultegra 10 speed cassette is on, so the rear derailleur needs to calibrated for that, the wheels "trued" (adjust any warps in the rims), cable cleaned and/or replaced if needed and shifting worked on. Plus I asked Steve (the shop owner) to check the bottom bracket (you only let someone you trust work on your bottom bracket. Sounds weird in a few ways, but true) as it has been creaking. Hopefully it's an easy fix. Bottom brackets can be finicky and expensive. Finally, I asked the guys to work some magic on my bike computer. I depend heavily on it for cadence info as well as trip miles, speed etc, but mostly cadence. It's not displaying cadence anymore, and even after a couple of hours fiddling with it, I couldn't get it to work, so maybe they can get it going for me.

I hung out for a while and shot the shit with Steve and Alex. Steve says he's going to run the 5K at KHS, so that's pretty cool. He's training for a half marathon for the late spring. Alex is a cool cat who wrenches for the shop. He's a pretty good rider and we talked about doing some rides together this spring. I hope it works out. I'll have pictures of the bike and shop when I pick it up next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment